The ESB wants to work with businesses and schools to share good practice examples of education-business engagement. Both ALS Technologies and Taunton Fabrications are great examples of innovative and effective collaboration currently taking place. If you would like more details please get in touch through this website.
ALS is a systems engineering company delivering real time, high integrity software applications. Based in Wincanton, ALS primarily works in the aerospace and defence sectors, specialising in a number of high technology fields including Sonar and Avionics. ALS have delivered projects for companies including Thales, BAE Systems, AgustaWestland, DSTL and the MoD.
ALS works extensively with schools and young people to provide insights into their industry, including:
- Two-week extensive work experience courses within the IT industry for Year 10 students, complementing their ICT GCSE courses.
- A three-day ‘conference event’ planned for July 2014 with King Arthur’s Community School. Two world renowned speakers will provide inspirational breakout groups for 300 students over the three days, in Years 7, 8 and 9. This will also involve Year 10 peer mentors, teachers and parents.
- Two employees are undertaking apprenticeships and a three-year foundation degree course, working with Yeovil College and Bournemouth University; they will be qualified to degree level at the end of the course.
- Two Year 10 interns are working with ALS from November to June 2014. The scheme aims to take two interns each year to encourage involvement in technology and the workplace. Future employers can then view their experiences online via a specially designed Gateway to Technology and Innovation Hub (GTI-Hub).
Taunton Fabrications is the leading supplier of architectural metalwork in the south of England. Based in Taunton, they specialise in designing and manufacturing a range of high quality architectural metalwork features for buildings, such as balconies, walkways and glass and steel installations. Taunton Fabrications manage the whole process from design to production and installation in-house, using the latest 3D design software and a modern, purpose built factory.
Taunton Fabrications has run a number of initiatives in the local area with schools and young people to provide insights into their business, including:
- Work experience placements and school-employer visits for local schools.
- Hosting school visits from Year 9 pupils to try and give them an understanding of the workplace prior to choosing their GCSE options. During their visit they find out about the various levels of skills required, the importance of teamwork, further education and apprenticeship options and how to go out about finding a placement or job with a company.
- An Apprentice Day for four school leavers who attended an apprentice evening at Somerset County Cricket ground; they were invited to a welder/fabricator apprentice day at the Taunton factory. All four undertook a series of tasks designed to assess their ability to understand basic technical information, teamwork skills and their confidence in welding techniques. One of the four was succesfully chosen to join the company in Spetember on a three year apprenticeship course in conjunction with Bridgwater College.
- Offering mock interviews and advising on employability for unemployed young people in a deprived area of Taunton, in a community development programme run by Taunton Deane Borough Council and Avon and Somerset Police.
If your business or school is involved in similar partnerships, please get in touch, so we can let others know.