The new Somerset Employment and Skills Group (SESG), which replaces the Employment and Skills Board (ESB), met for the first time on Thursday 21 August 2014.
The Somerset Employment and Skills Group is smaller than the ESB and will focus on a number of high-level priorities. These include working with EDF Energy to ensure Somerset’s residents have the right skills to access employment opportunities linked to the construction of Hinkley Point C. At the same time it is important employers not directly involved with Hinkley are able to manage the impact the project will have on their workforce. The Group also wants to work with headteachers and schools to ensure there is a coordinated approach to businesses and schools working together across the county to increase the aspirations of Somerset’s schoolchildren.
The new Group’s members are:
- Peter Livingstone, Battens Solicitors – Chair
- Guy Hazlehurst, EDF Energy – Vice-Chair
- Phil Harris, PJB Construction – Vice-Chair
- Lorraine Jackson, Department for Work and Pensions
- David Hall, Somerset County Council
- Rupert Cox, Somerset Chamber
- Patricia Marks, Federation of Small Businesses
- Richard Graydon, Somerset Association of Secondary Heads
- Rod Davis, Dorset and Somerset Training Provider Network
Look out for more details of the Group’s priorities over the next few months on this website and in communications. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01823 359211/359279 if you have an questions about the Group and its work.